Wednesday, September 16, 2009

equinox popcorn

It must be the proximity of the fall equinox. Ideas have been popping like popcorn for the past week. I love it! And I love the clouds that spread across a clear blue sky in September.

I finally got around to reading The Underneath by Kathi Appelt. It’s a wonderful book, bursting with poetic language and still full of the kind of suspense that won’t let you stop reading. I kept thinking of Kipling as I savored the narrative style. I was also caught up in the characters’ struggle for survival, as today’s young readers will be. The story has many layers which Appelt builds up, then peels off. And, yes, there are talking animals! Kathi Appelt has written a winner, a National Book Award finalist and a Newbery Honor book. Another keeper for one of my lucky young readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome.