Friday, October 21, 2011

Poetry Friday


Poetry Friday! Enjoy the offerings at Jama’s Alphabet Soup. Then stretch and limber up your poet’s muscles with poetry calisthenics suggested by J. Patrick Lewis. Poetry Advocates for Children and Young Adults posted this link. PACYA offers terrific information for poets writing for children.

Here’s my stretch using the Zeno form invented by Lewis.
I used the leaves theme from last week’s poem.

The New England forest explodes!
Shy green dares to
become
bold–
yellow, crimson,
russet,
gold;
fall’s memory
meant to
hold.

© 2011 Joyce Ray

9 comments:

  1. Lovely, Joyce! Especially "shy green"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely wrought, Joyce. Thanks for honoring the zeno.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to see you both here, Jama and J. Patrick Lewis! The poem was fun to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how the striking hues of yellow crimson russet gold are perceived as 'bold' :) and yes, loved 'shy green' too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, Joyce! I wrote a fall poem yesterday (in my head walking the dog, then scribbled in my journal). It seemed to be missing something, until I added the word "bold" - and now seeing that used so aptly here in your poem confirms that's indeed what I needed! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Joyce.

    Thanks for your comment on my poetry selection over at the Write Sisters.

    I love yours!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  8. Myra, Robyn and Jet, thanks for commenting on the zeno poem. Bold seems an apt description for this season of color explosion. But shy green is very necessary, and many parts of the country/world are thirsting for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just learning about this form and really enjoyed your poem. A nice Autumn poem I will savor and save to enjoy again. ......Janet

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.