Friday, June 8, 2012

Poetry Friday - A Verse Novel



Don’t miss The Good Braider, an exciting new YA verse novel by Terry Farish. Viola is a Sudanese teen who escapes Juba with her mother and younger brother in 1999 and slowly makes her way to Portland, Maine.

Smart, brave and tenacious, Viola experiences first hand the reality of war in Sudan. She yearns to escape and be free. Habuba, her grandmother, tells her,

“Who follows the elephant will have no problems.
They know how to make a path through the forest.”


Farish braids Viola’s story a strand at a time, as expertly as the hands of any Sudanese woman braiding narrow lines of hair. Viola experiences loss, betrayal, and the uncertainties of a new friendship. As she struggles to adapt to her new culture, she misses the smell of rain and the banks of the Nile in Juba.

The Good Braider is an
important book. It chronicles experiences common to many of our new refugee neighbors both their desire to fit into a new culture and their pain at leaving behind the culture they love. It is also a sensitively told tale that captures your heart.

Terry Farish is writing an article about the craft of verse novels and choices writers make as they compose and rewrite. She would like to interview writers who practice this form.
E-mail Terry at tfarish at gmail dot com if you're willing to explore your
process with her.

Jama has the Poetry Friday Roundup today at Alphabet Soup.






15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads-up about this book. I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too! I read someone's response that the blue sky and slender neck represented hope and beauty for them. Thanks for commenting, Tabatha.

      Delete
  2. This sounds just fascinating to me. And I cannot imagine writing a verse novel - it boggles the mind. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Renee. I agree that writing a verse novel has its own challenges. I'd like to try, though! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Verse novels are such an interesting genre. Thanks for telling us about this book -- will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jama. And thanks for hosting today. I love your blog!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for writing about this book. I'm looking forward to reading it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you'll enjoy it Jeannine. You know a thing or two about verse novels!

      Delete
  6. Fascinating! I look for this one, even though it's likely beyond my 5th graders' scope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mary Lee. The Good Braider is more YA. There are some reality issues inappropriate for 5th graders.

      Delete
  7. Oh Joyce Ray, how absolutely beautiful. As you know I am in love with novels-in-verse and we are currently celebrating the immigrant experience theme as well. I have a feeling this would be a perfect book to explore and feature. Thank you for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read this one. I'm a verse novelist myself and would love to discuss my process with Terry but your email link doesn't work. She can email me gp(at)angelhorn(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for your note — you will love Tamra. She is one very special person.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.