Thursday, November 1, 2012

Poetry Friday



Dark Emperor by Joyce Sidman

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2010

Newbery Honor Book, 2011, and a host of additional awards

For Poetry Friday (and checking off another title for Gathering Books’ Award-Winning Book Challenge), I’m highlighting Dark Emperor & other Poems of the Night by Joyce Sidman. Since I love Sidman’s poetry collections Song of the Water Boatman (a Caldecott Honor Book) and Butterfly Eyes, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.

Sidman says this collection is the third in a trilogy of books she wanted to write about places that were important to her pond, meadow, and now woods. Since the dark night was always a bit scary to her as a child, Dark Emperor’s poems explore the plants and creatures who are at home in the night woods.

One of my favorites is “Oak After Dark.”

As nighttime rustles at my knee,
I stand in silent gravity

and quietly continue chores
of feeding leaves and sealing pores.

While beetles whisper in my bark,
while warblers roost in branches dark,

I stretch my roots into the hill
and slowly, slowly drink my fill.

The poem continues and so beautifully portrays the quiet strength of an oak who keeps these promises:

“to stand while all the seasons fly,
to anchor earth,
                 to touch the sky.”

From traditional poetic forms to free verse and even an ubi sunt (a style of medieval poetry), these poems roll off the tongue with Sidman’s characteristic strong verbs, internal rhyme and alliteration. You can hear her read “Welcome to the Night” and “Dark Emperor” on her website. If you like to write mask poems, “Dark Emperor” is a great model. Imagine facing a great horned owl with “the tiny hiccup” of your heart. A trailer also gives a peek at the lovely linoleum print illustrations by Rick Allen.

Sample more poetry today over at Mainely Write. Donna ushers in November with its own poem and gathers together many more.

Check out other great award-winning books at the Award Winning Books Challenge site.

Award-Winning Book Challenge Status: 10/12


15 comments:

  1. Love "Oak After Dark" but haven't read it in so long...thanks for reminding me how beautiful it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It evokes such a quiet strength, doesn't it, Matt?

      Delete
  2. Hi Joyce,
    What a gorgeous book this looks to be! I visited Sidman's website from your links, watched the book trailer and listened to her read. Her gorgeous poetry gives me shivers. Thanks for introducing her to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Joyce Sidman's gift is being able to write evocative poetry that speaks to all ages, I think.

      Delete
  3. What a stunning poem! I am ordering this book NOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, isa. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

      Delete
  4. Added it to my wish list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ruth. It's a wonderful book. And the illustrations in all her books are gorgeous.

      Delete
  5. Joyce is one of my favorite children's poets ever. She's one of the reasons I became a children's poet, as her poems showed me the kind of magic you can create in this realm. This book is one of my favorites of hers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the Magic, Laura! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. Love the oak poem! I want to read more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I omitted several verses, Donna. It's now my favorite tree poem.

      Delete
  7. This book is one of my favorites. I love this whole trilogy. I think she was one of the first to start blending NF and poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to find this book. I love night time and the wild outdoors.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.