Thursday, October 8, 2009

what if...

Advice of the week: Listen. Ideas come from all corners. This week I was stuck! I struggled with bridging two chapters in my Hildegard story. How do I get across what was happening in my character’s life at this time? I needed her to interact with someone, but I resisted introducing a new character who had no purpose to the story. Then my husband said, “What if… .” See, I’ve trained him! His idea is brilliant. It helps anchor the ending, too.

Writers work in different ways. Some keep their work close until finishing a draft. Others like to talk out the plot. I guess I work best alone until I’m stuck. Then I’m up for brainstorming (or in this case, complaining about the impossibility of my task) and listening to possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome.