Wednesday, November 25, 2009

giving thanks

It’s time for giving thanks, so thanks for reading my blog! Writing is a solitary profession, and it feels wonderful to know some faithful readers are with me each week.

As a reader, I am grateful for the classics I love – Little Women, Jane Eyre, Parnassus on Wheels, Charlotte’s Web. These contemporary authors whose books I don’t miss also enrich my life – Katherine Paterson, Susan Cooper, Jane Yolen, Deborah Wiles, Karen Hesse, Cynthia Rylant, Donna Jo Napoli.

Professionally, I am thankful for the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators and the NH Writers’ Project. These two organizations provide immense support and incentive. Academically, I am grateful to Vermont College, now Vermont College of Fine Arts, for the stellar program that helped me find a children’s writer’s voice. Without the mentors I worked with, my student writing colleagues and the hope instilled by the many publications of VC graduates, I would not have persevered.

When asked what I write, I’m tempted to say drafts because it takes many attempts to get a story ready to submit to a publisher. To my critique buddies, both face-to face and online, I owe so much for reading and re-reading with care. Lastly, I am forever thankful to my family, all of whom put up with an absent wife, mother and grandmother more than they should have to. Their support keeps me going after the rejection letters, and they’re the first ones in line to help me celebrate acceptances.

Because writing is solitary, some writers need a network, and I’m grateful to all who make up mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome.