Friday, September 1, 2023

A Moon Poem

Ramona hosts Poetry Friday today at Pleasures from the Page. Thank you, Ramona! A big thank you to Irene Latham for the autographed copy of Moonstruck! Poems About Our Moon, edited by Roger Stevens and illustrated by Ed Boxall. In celebration of the upcoming publication of The Museum on the Moon, Irene offered Stevens' book of poems by random selection. It arrived in my mailbox! The anthology features Roger Stevens' fun poems, along with moon poems by other poets. Emily  Brontё's poem "Moonlight, Summer Moonlight" is included.

Moonlight, Summer Moonlight 

'Tis moonlight, summer moonlight,
All soft and still and fair;
The solemn hour of midnight
Breathes sweet thoughts everywhere,

But most where trees are sending
Their breezy boughs on high,
Or stooping low are lending
A shelter from the sky.

And there in those wild bowers
A lovely form is laid;
Green grass and dew-steeped flowers
Wave gently round her head.
 
With all these moon poems in my brain, I visited the Colby College Art Museum and found a moon painting! August Moon, by Dan Namingha, is part of an installation named "Painted: Our Bodies, Hearts and Village."  20 and 21st century Native artists' work is paired with art by the Taos Society of Artists in early 1900s New Mexico, creating a dialogue with differing perspectives of Pueblo culture.

Namingha's gorgeous painting inspired me to write this poem, a Nonet, which I learned to write in this poetry forum. If you're not familiar with this form, it's a nine-line poem with the first line containing 9 syllables. The remaining lines contain syllables in descending order. So 9 syllables followed by 8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1. Since this poem is inspired by a painting, it's an ekphrastic nonet!

Three Sisters

They stretch in waves of harvest color
now summoned by Moon Mother's glow.
Three sisters raised with strong roots
helped one another grow.
On a moonlit stage,
corn, beans, and squash,
moon-boldened,
laugh at
Crow.
            ~Joyce Ray ©2023



8 comments:

  1. Joyce, what a beautiful moony week for this post. The August Moon painting reminds me of what I saw on Wednesday when the super blue moon rose over the mountain in front of my house. Your nonet is brilliant. I love this ode to the Three Sisters strengthening each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise! Once my eyes let go of that gorgeous moon in the painting, the harvest colors made me think of the Three Sisters. I'm glad you saw the super moon over the mountain, too.

      Delete
  2. Wow! There are so many things to love about your poem “Three Sisters.” You were able to keep the rhyme and meter going even within the nonet form. You did a great job of capturing the warm, harvest tones of the painting with your words. You show the interrelationship between living things, and you end with a humorous little laugh at Crow. I truly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tracey. I love sitting with a painting and seeing what emerges. Those harvest colors jumped out and immediately I thought of the Three Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this week, and went to a nearby park to wait for that super blue moon, certainly did not want to miss it! I love moon poems, the one your shared and the nonet you wrote, Joyce. I love the ending, a big smile from that! And the painting, wow. What serendipity to find it just now! Have a great day today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, thank you for visiting. I love picturing you holding down a park bench waiting for the moon!

      Delete
  5. Joyce, I am always fascinated by Native American art and traditions. The poems you chose are a beautiful celebrations of the moon. I was able to take a photo of the second August moon and just waiting for inspiration to flow. Your blog gave me the kick-start I needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I am grateful for exhibits and performances that lift up Native voices. They have long been suppressed. I hope your moon poem emerges soon! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete

Comments welcome.