Thursday, June 7, 2018

BRONTË PILGRIMAGE


Brontë Sisters - Bob Ray photo

MY soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring
And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze;
For above and around me the wild wind is roaring,
Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas. 

 

The long withered grass in the sunshine is glancing,
The bare trees are tossing their branches on high;
The dead leaves, beneath them, are merrily dancing,
The white clouds are scudding across the blue sky. 

 

I wish I could see how the ocean is lashing
The foam of its billows to whirlwinds of spray;
I wish I could see how its proud waves are dashing,
And hear the wild roar of their thunder today! 

 

  ACTON 

(Acton Bell, pseudonym of Anne Brontë, December 1842. From Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell) 

 

In May of 2017, I enjoyed a dream trip to the UK to pay homage to some of my favorite authors. Since Jane Eyre holds a special place in my heart (the only novel I re-read periodically), I set my sights on Yorkshire, England. From the moment we arrived at Haworth and looked up the steep main street, cobbled with pavers leading to the Brontë Parsonage at the top of the fell, I was in heaven.

 
Thanks to the Brontë Society, the Brontë parsonage is essentially as it was when Patrick Brontë, a curate, brought his family there in 1820, except for a side addition added by a subsequent owner. The dark stone is the same as all the old Haworth  buildings, giving the town a sombre effect.

 Brontë Parsonage

The large dining table where Charlotte, Emily and Anne, under the pseudonyms of Currer, Ellis and Acton Bell, penned and discussed their stories is strewn with manuscripts, inkwell, tea cups and sewing box.

Parsonage Parlor or Dining Room

Charlotte wrote in 1850:
‘We did not like to declare ourselves women, because we had a vague impression that authoresses are liable to be looked on with prejudice.’

They were forced to reveal their identities when there was a misconception that the author of Wuthering Heights was one in the same as the author of Jane Eyre.


Branwell, their brother who died young from alcohol and opium abuse, also wrote and painted. 2017 was the bicentenary of Branwell’s birth, celebrated at the Brontë’ Museum with an exhibit, “Mansions in the Sky.” Branwell’s writings and drawings were displayed with poems by Simon Armitage. Branwell painted this portrait of his sisters and included his self-portrait but later covered it over.

 
Branwell's portrait of his sisters

 

I learned so much about this family and drank up every detail. The Brontë children were writers from a very early age. They created tiny manuscripts about their imaginary worlds featuring the Duke of Wellington and Branwell's toy soldiers. Two older sisters died very young from consumption, or tuberculosis. Emily and Anne also succumbed to TB. Charlotte, pregnant and married less than a year to her father's assistant curate, died in her prime.

Parsonage Kitchen
The BBC documentary “To Walk Invisible” had been filmed in 2016. I recommend it highly for all Brontë fans. The period costumes worn by the actors were displayed throughout the house, which helped me imagine Charlotte, Emily or Anne just ready to don a bonnet for a walk on the moor.

Charlotte’s actual shoes and dress are displayed in the Museum.

Charlotte's Shoes

Charlotte's Dress









  
 A storyteller guide gave a wonderful tour of the churchyard and area surrounding the Parsonage. He encouraged us to enter a local stationer’s in what was the Haworth post office during the Brontë’s time and say hello to the proprietor, Margaret. 

She is the great-great-great granddaughter of the Haworth postmaster during the Brontë era. We had a lovely chat. She showed us the huge drawer sectioned for individual stamps and the wide wooden counter where “the girls mailed their manuscripts.”  I caressed that well-worn counter and absorbed whatever it had to give. 

Me Writing Wuthering Heights!

There was a wonderful project going on during my visit. Since there is no original Wuthering Heights manuscript, visitors were invited to create one. I set aside my strong dislike of Heathcliff, and along with over 10,000 other visitors, wrote one sentence! The manuscript is now bound with the list of all who transcribed it and will be on display this year during Emily's bicentenary.
 
 On the storyteller’s advice I bought a recent biography of this literary family, The Brontë’s by Juliet Barker. I am loving it and reliving my trip all over again. 


One of these days. I'm going to bake Moggy Cake,  (love the name!) a Yorkshire dessert which looks like gingerbread to me. First I have to locate some black treacle. I thought I might substitute molasses, but they say the taste is different. 



The visit to Haworth was a highlight of our literary tour, but the homes of other authors were inspirational, too. I’ll be sharing more of these. Meanwhile Anne Brontë’s bicentenary is in 2020, in case you’re interested!

Kiesha at Whispers from the Ridge has today's Poetry Friday Roundup.


 

28 comments:

  1. You've made me want to fly over right now! The poem is so lively and pretty, meant to be read aloud, don't you think? Your time there makes those working there sound so, so dedicated, and I love that visitors are helping to create a manuscript! That's a lovely idea! Thanks for sharing so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get to visit one day!

      Delete
  2. Marvelous post! I sent it to my daughter Elena immediately because she is doing her Extended Essay on Jane Eyre. We need to make Moggy Cake, too (gingerbread is one of Elena's favorites!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this post -- I, too, love the Brontes, and enjoyed visiting Haworth twice. Theirs is such a fascinating story (their tiny childhood books were amazing!). One time we stayed at the Black Bull Inn, where Branwell used to hang out. :) What a tragic waste of talent. Love that you added a line to the Wuthering Heights manuscript!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You offer the hope that I will return! Those books were amazing, and I wish i had a photo of them. We ate lunch at the Black Bull and were told the chair on the landing was Branwell's. Once home, I read it is a replica!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely poem and pics! Thank you for sharing this incredible experience with us. If I can ever get myself to make the plane ride to England, I would definitely make Yorkshire my first stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kiesha. Maybe we could get a group together and lend moral support!

      Delete
  5. I am so jealous, what an inspiring trip - I've only ever been to London, and I would love to walk in the footsteps of some of my favourite British authors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you can someday! I have never seen London. That's next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing trip! Thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing trip! I love the idea of visitors creating a manuscript one sentence at a time. Thanks for sharing your Haworth visit with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous poem Joyce, love all the alliteration and r's in here,
    "For above and around me the wild wind is roaring,
    Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas."
    Feels as if we are right there within the poem. Thanks for the virtual tour of Haworth–You must have loved walking through the rooms feeling as if the women would appear around a corner. I was in England and the Cotswolds many years ago and would love to return and view some of the authors homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Michelle, the poem invites me in, too. Anne Bronte loved the ocean, and we can tell! I loved the Cotswolds, too, particularly Chipping Camden and Bourton on the Water.

      Delete
  10. I have never made it all the way through JANE EYRE, but when I read your post, I want to go back and try again, then jump on a plane and visit this village. Your words and pictures make it seem absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! Do try again. My attachment to this book may originate in my early reading of it as a teen. Definitely loved romantic novels then!

      Delete
  11. Definitely on my bucket list, Joyce! This is a great post for lit lovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. I hope you get to go some day. Maybe stop at Wordsworth's Dove Cottage first!

      Delete
  12. What a delight to tag along on your journey with you. You described it so well and make me want to go there. The poem you shared is lovely! I look forward to hearing more about the other homes you visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. The trip is worth sharing as I know so many love these classics and have an affinity with their authors. The countryside is definitely a draw, too!

      Delete
  13. Oh, I would love to visit the Bronte parsonage. I'll be adding this to my bucket list for sure. Lovely poem, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marcia. You have inspired me with your accounts of visits to authors' homes. In fact, after reading your post about Edith Wharton's home, I did visit!

      Delete
  14. This could be one specific with the most beneficial blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Really Wonderful. I’m also an expert in this topic so I can understand your hard work.paving contractor Wellington

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,, Joyce. Stopping in late, but I could not have found this post at a better time. I just reread Jane Eyre -- this time as an audiobook with Thandie Newton narrating. Have you ever read Catherine Reef's YA biography The Bronte Sisters? I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a good idea, I am very happy to read this article, and I agree with the issues of this post. I think this is the best impression.driveway near Boynton I am going to do something after read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A big part of any landscaping or improvement is paving, be it a paved driveway, a paved edging to an existing driveway, a paved path, edging along garden beds, or a paved patio. Residential Paving Colorado Springs CO

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.