Friday, November 2, 2018

Haiga





Poetry Friday is here and it's almost stick season in the northeast. Some leaves remained on their trees long enough for those of us who have been away to see some color this year, so I'm grateful for that. I'm also grateful for Jama who's hosting today's poems and their authors! Her posts are always gorgeous (and delicious), informative and inspiring.

Today's post is PASSIONATE about our responsibility to VOTE in Tuesday's election. Go read the poem by Judith Harris, enjoy the wonderful art, and get ready to cast your vote in the most important election of our lifetimes.

On Halloween,  my husband and I left Japan after two months volunteering at the Asian Rural Institute. We had been appointed as short term missionaries by Global Ministries. As we flew over Alaska in the middle of the night on our way home to vote, the view out my window was peaceful, almost ethereal. I was surprised at the words that emerged as I began to record this scene in a poem. Here is my haiga.

Photo and poem  Joyce Ray Copyright







right wing slicing through
stillness over moonlit clouds 
spurs at the ready


12 comments:

  1. Wow, what a beautiful scene -- you're right, it's so ethereal. It even looks like it could be a sea creature underwater. Lovely poem captures the wonder. Glad you're safely back from Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jama. My son-in-law also saw the sea creature's tentacle!

      Delete
  2. Floating in space.
    Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Joyce! Your poem brought a moment of calm to my too-busy morning. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a grand view of our dear earth, Joyce. I like the idea of that 'right wing slicing'. Your journey there must have been wonderful, now welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the sea creature thought, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Joyce! You captured a very special moment in time. Hopefully a sign of new beginnings and healing in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear everyone's passionate calls to action at the polls, I'm feeling cautiously hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the contrast of the stillness and the spurs--you've captured the moment with your words and photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a powerful, ethereal scene you passed through–the wing looks like some kind of creature–you've captured both calm and excitement in your haiga pairing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce, this photo/poem combination is so imaginative. It is as if I am staring at a shark deep in the ocean. I am hoping you would like to offer it for my Abundant Autumn Gallery. If so, check out the invitation and send me an email. beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2018/10/abundant-autumn-invitation-to-create.html I will be working on the design of the gallery next week. (cvarsalona@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.