Friday, November 16, 2018

Happy Haiku News

New mural at Asian Rural Institute, Japan by artist Iris Burbank
I'm sharing happy haiku news for this week's Poetry Friday. My entry for Whole Life Soaps' haiku contest is one of the Honorable mentions! It was number 8 out of 500 entries. That makes me pretty excited. Here it is:

my skin, your skin
scrubbed into one people-
clean living

You can read the excellent Honorable Mentions, Runners up and Winning Haiku at Whole Life Soaps' Blog.

When I heard about this annual contest from Rattle Magazine just days before the deadline, I decided to give it a shot. The winning entry gets printed on a line of soap! Pretty cool. If you like to write haiku, keep your eye out for Whole Life Soap's annual contest next fall.

I wrote the poem while living in a multicultural environment in our volunteer assignment in Japan. I was introduced to this music video by Kwabena, one of the Asian Rural Institute's participants from Ghana. It's titled "Different Colours, One People" and is by Lucky Dube.  The idea of different skin, one people leaped into my writing process.

Linda has the Roundup over at Teacher Dance with a Rosemary Wells Giveaway!

7 comments:

  1. That's awesome, Joyce! Congratulations! I usually read Rattle solicitations, missed that one, will look next time. Nevertheless, I love that you received Honorable Mention. Thanks for the video, too. I listen to the group "Playing for Change" & it reminded me of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I heard about that contest -- it seemed tough to me :-) I couldn't think of anything appropriate. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I haven't heard of that contest. It looks challenging. And I love the idea of printing a haiku on a bar of soap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! This is a new one on me--so cool (and clean!) that you got an honorable mention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Joyce for your terrific haiku poem–what a beautiful thought you created! Thanks for the lively music video too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.