Friday, August 30, 2019

Cirku - Haiku in a Circle



Since my last post, I've been lurking for 8 months, dropping in now and again and occasionally commenting. Writing projects, traveling and just plain procrastination got in the way. Today I want to share that I recently learned there is a name for haiku written in a circle - Cirku. Poetry Friday friends who specialize in haiku probably already know this!


"Cirku - a haiku presented in a circular form, with gaps indicating lineation. You read the poem clockwise, usually beginning at about the one o’clock position. The reader is free, however, to start on any ‘line’. A true cirku will work, irrespective of which gap you begin reading it from. It is not easy to compose a good one!"   https://hailhaiku.wordpress.com/tag/circular-poem/

 My fiber artist friend, Susan, and I have been invited to facilitate art and writing on a small cruise ship next June in the Aegean Sea. I know, it's fabulous beyond words, and full disclosure - the tour organizer is my one of my amazing daughters! If you'd like to know more, feel free to contact me or visit Rowan Tree Travel. I hope this doesn't smack of shameless promotion, but it occurred to me that this trip might be of interest to makers of all stripes (I'm learning the 21st century term for creative people!) on Poetry Friday.


So Susan and I are practicing and playing! She painted these exquisite flowers of Greece, and I started writing Cirku. I love being inspired by Susan's art. She folded it in half and then again accordion style. Here it is standing on our deck railing in Maine with three Cirku on one side.




 


bright color riot
yellow, orange, red petals-
an island bouquet

luxuriant blooms
leaping from window boxes
for salt air embrace

bees and blossoms
waking up to each other-
honey makers



Susan and I have collaborated before, and this time we're going to have a ball creating a sample art journal. She has me writing shape poems in a Greek key design, and I think haibun and haiga are perfect forms for the many photo memories that will be made.

I'm happy to be posting again. Thank you, Kathryn Apel, for hosting. Now on to reading this week's poetry offerings!

34 comments:

  1. Welcome back, and thank you for introducing me to a cirku!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane!I've missed sharing in this community of writers who are so supportive.

      Delete
  2. What a fun challenge cirku is! I love your beautiful collaborations with Susan. Your bees and blossoms cirku is my particular favorite. The Greek tour sounds fantastic -- wish I could go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabatha,I like the added challenge of making the poem work no matter where you begin reading. Bees and blossoms is my favorite, too!Thanks for stopping by to comment.

      Delete
  3. Wow, your Greek tour/workshop on board sounds marvelous, & the plans you've shared along with the beautiful painting, the sample art journal, then sharing the 'cirku' are wonderful. In all my reading I've never seen anything about the cirku, and you've made it look easy, Joyce. Love your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I thought I was late to the party learning about Cirku! You make me feel better.

      Delete
  4. Joyce, what a great cirku with an amazing drawing. Would you be interested in offering your drawing and poem for my #EmbraceableSummer Gallery collection? It would make for a special digital in the gallery. Let me know please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thank you! I would be honored for Susan's art and my poems to be included in the your latest gallery. Please tell me how to submit bu emailing me: joyce@joyceraybooks.com

      Delete
    2. Joyce, thank you for sending your poem. I am going to add it after Labor Day. I am trying to get ready for a barbecue with friends at my house tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. Your tour sounds exciting! Thank you for sharing your beautiful cirku along with Susan's gorgeous artwork. Enjoy the cruise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! Thanks for sharing this neat form and enchanting piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of a Cirku before. How fun! Thanks for introducing me to the form. I especially like your "bees and blossoms" one.
    What a marvelous opportunity to facilitate the art workshop on a cruise ship. I hope it's a terrfic experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit, Carmela. I’m looking forward to your next poetry project.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing this I really enjoyed it! I love the visual of leaping from the flower boxes. Nice work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tim. It was easy to be inspired by Susan's painting. I guess challenge is to convey my inspiration with just the right words.

      Delete
  9. I was thinking about the first cirku:
    "bright color riot
    yellow, orange, red petals-
    an island bouquet"
    You know if you took out "an" and the dash, you could write this in a circle and pretty much start to read it anywhere and it would be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Donna!Good suggestions. I have already written the original haiku in a circle on the painting. But I will revise it on paper. I wonder how to use a computer to write in a circle? Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness! What a wonderful time you will have! And so much fun in the lead-up, too, by the looks of it. Thank-you for sharing about the cirku. I am particularly grabbed by the sound of your 'bright colour riot' ... and the image of blooms leaping for salt air embrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Kat. And for hosting!

      Delete
  11. Cirku is new to me as well and so intriguing. I like the fluidity/flexibility of the form, both in structure and in the reading. Your and Susan's beautiful collaboration of words and images are simply stunning! I especially love the "salt air embrace" of those window box blossoms. How wonderful to be off to the Aegean to create and inspire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Molly. Yes, I need to pinch myself to believe this opportunity is really happening to me. Susan and I have been best friends for a long time, so it's a true celebration.

      Delete
  12. Your cruise sounds wonderful! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hadn't heard of cirqu and these are just gorgeous! We've had a lot of bees and blossoms (and butterflies) this summer, so that poem in particular spoke to me. I don't think I can join the writing cruise, but it sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. It sounds like you'll be busy with a move for awhile!

      Delete
  14. Welcome back! Cirku is new to me. I think the understatement of the year might be that is is hard to write a good one. Yours work well! Enjoy the writing cruise - What fun! I wish I could join you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay! I expect this cruise to be a once-in-a-lifetime event!

      Delete
  15. I have never heard of cirku before. These are wonderful. And the words and images together are just spectacular. The people on your makers cruise are in for a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I am so fortunate to be working with my Susan on this project!

      Delete
  16. Your poetry touches me and always brings a smile. You create vivid images with words, but to pair them with such beautiful artwork...perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat, for your kind words and for stopping by here to comment!

      Delete
  17. Your friends floral painting is gorgeous, and I love your poetry lines flowing through the painting and on the side, thanks! What a fun adventure and trip you are all going to have.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.