Thursday, September 5, 2019

Saint Hildegard's Feast Day


Saint Hildegard wrote some wonderful poetry back in the 12th century. She wasn't a saint then, but the songs she composed for her monastic community show her love of language and her skill at using it.

O branch of freshest green,
O hail! Within the windy gusts of saints
upon a quest you swayed and sprouted forth.

2. When it was time, you blossomed in your boughs—
“Hail, hail!” you heard, for in you seeped the sunlight’s warmth
like balsam’s sweet perfume.

3. For in you bloomed
so beautiful a flow’r, whose fragrance wakened
all the spices from their dried-out stupor.

4. They all appeared in full viridity.


-from  ‘Song to the Virgin,’ “Symphonia,” Nathaniel M. Campbell, translator

You can read the entire song here and listen to a choral group singing a beautiful rendition of the entire song here.

This icon painted on wood was discovered in a tiny church  by a friend traveling in Tallinn, Estonia. Isn't it gorgeous? Then again, I have a thing for Hildegard!


I'll be sharing more of her words at a virtual party to celebrate Saint Hildegard's Feast Day on September 17. This is  new for me! I've participated in an virtual book launch party, but never hosted an online event before. Wish me luck!f you have the time, please check it out. Here's the Facebook invitation.

Please venture over to today's Roundup at Poetry for Children, where Sylvia and Janet share a poem for school read alouds and their excitement about the upcoming IBBY Regional Conference. See you there!

18 comments:

  1. I've heard of Hildegard of Bingen but know nothing about her. I love the "Within the windy gusts of saints" line--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I recently heard Hildegard described as an original example of "She Persisted!"

      Delete
  2. Thanks for introducing me to Hildegard! Such beautiful, lyrical words -- and that icon is gorgeous (love all the animals included).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jama. It is a lovely icon and conveys one of Hildegard's central beliefs-the idea that all creation is precious and that we should lovingly care for it.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful introduction. The song is soooooooo beautiful. I love that St. Hildegard wrote poetry so long ago. You bet I'll check out your virtual party.
    I think I like "swayed and sprouted forth" best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was amazing. It's wonderful that we can hear her music performed today. Thanks for checking out the party on Sept. 17!

      Delete
  4. The icon is such a beautiful memento. My friend brought me back a small icon from Paris. I am fascinated by the tale of Saint Hildegard. These lines are lovely: for in you seeped the sunlight’s warmth
    like balsam’s sweet perfume.
    Thanks, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I would love to have this icon as a memento, but my friend photographed it and it feels like it's door-sized!

      Delete
  5. A 'poem of address' from centuries ago is very special, Joyce. Also amazing is that icon discovered. Just imagine how exciting the discovery must have been. Thanks for introducing Saint Hildegard, Joyce. I read some about her life, amazing for that time as a woman, consulted by royalty & church leaders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda. I recently saw Hildegard described as the original version of "She persisted!"

      Delete
  6. Love the stunning icon and poetry, Joyce! Her feast day is the same as my father's birthday. I wondered what you would eat on a feast day and was led to "nun puffs," which look a bit like popovers. Not sure that is traditional, but it looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'll have to look up "nun puffs!" I know what I'll be eating on September 17 - Cookies of Joy. Hildegard believed that nutmeg makes us joyful. I have a cookie recipe derived from her writings.

      Delete
    2. One of the fun things about Poetry Friday posts is that you never know what you're going to learn about, right? I looked up "nun puffs" a minute ago and found that "puffs" is quite a poetic name for what were first called "paix-de-nonne" and then "pets-de-nonne." Whatever the name--nun peace, nun farts, or nun puffs--they look delicious to me!!!

      Delete
  7. I love all the birds and animals in the icon, and then the birds come out in the poem too. Thanks also for the choral video also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hildegard thought that all creation was precious and that we were to care for it. Her words echo today!

      Delete
  8. These are beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for introducing this new-to-me poet!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.