Friday, November 22, 2019

Giving Thanks on Poetry Friday


Asian Rural Institute mural
Happy Thanksgiving Poetry Friday Friends. I'm thankful for all of you and the gifts you share each week. The Roundup today is at Sloth Reads. Rebecca is celebrating Your Favorite National Food Day! Thank you, Rebecca.

It's "stick season" here in New Hampshire. Bare limbs are silhouetted today against gray skies. The only color is from evergreens, the rust colored beech leaves that hang on into winter, and red winterberries near swampy areas.

So in preparation for hibernation  mode, I've been working on a children's book abut the Asian Rural Institute in Japan where my husband and I volunteer. Today I'm sharing some haiku from a first draft. Rice harvest and sweet potato harvest are September celebration days at ARI. The big annual Harvest Thanksgiving Celebration is an annual event in mid-October.





golden rice bows
awaits the sickle
crows circle











sweet treasure
hiding in black soil
October’s prize














song, dance, food, games
celebrating the harvest
with thanksgiving




Haiku and photos copyright Joyce Ray

6 comments:

  1. What a neat background to your haiku. And, haiku is THE perfect form for your idea. I love seeing the harvest celebration photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the photos and their matching haikus. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Joyce–I'm taken by your "October's prize" haiku and image–look at all those sweet potatoes. The festival sounds like fun, I have two friends that live in Japan, I'll have to ask them if they are familiar with this festival. Good luck with the book, nice image on the top also. Happy Thanksgiving, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spot on to call it "stick season." :) I LOVE your haikus and beautiful photographs; the Asian mural, too. Best of luck with your current WIP and also your MG project of the 50's in Maine---can't wait to read both. Thanks for sharing this lovely post, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely -- thanks for the interesting photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the poems and images. It's getting bleak here too. I'm so thankful for those breakthrough sunny days that make us forget about the dull landscapes.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.