Friday, December 6, 2019

Yearling Deer





 Today I'd like to share a poem written by a poet friend who lost a long battle with cancer this year. Loisanne loved the natural world. She was a gifted teacher of children. Her sense of hope and gratitude while facing her illness head on was an inspiration to all who knew her. I regret that I cannot ask permission to post Loisanne's poem, but I feel her generous spirit would say yes. I am grateful for Loisanne.


YEARLING DEER

Little one, I would touch that tawny fur,
That velvet nose, still damp with dew.
Little one, I would watch you place those hooves
Daintly on forest path known just by you
And walk by your side in meadow mist
Little one, I would sleep curled next to ferns and you
Through heavy midday sun
And merge with you at dusk along the river
In you, I feel my heart beat fright, your one protector
In you I feel the need to run from creatures
Hungry for warm blood
Then go, and let me feel the thunder of those hooves
Separate us now.
                                       ~ Loisanne Foster


Joyce Ray photo

 Tanita has the Poetry Friday Roundup today at [fiction, instead of lies] where Gratitude is the word of the day. Tanita shares a delightful poem about earthworms and the work they do that makes life possible and her own sonnet "greasing the wheels," reminding us that a simple "Thank you" makes "the gears and cogs" of our lives run more smoothly. She also invites us to join in a New Year's Poetry Challenge. Thanks, Tanita.




17 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the memory of your friend Loisanne, and that gorgeous poem and image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful poem of goodbyes, Joyce. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. (Glad I finally found you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your loss. Loisanne's poem is especially poignant -- we have deer in our woods and I really appreciated her gentle thoughts and empathy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for introducing us to Loisanne through her beautiful poem. I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. My favorite lines are that moment of merging with the fawn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this, Joyce. It so beautifully describes the little fawn and its world of ferns and meadow mist, and Loisanne's love for this youngster. I'm so sorry for your loss, but thank you for thinking of her and sharing her this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loisanne's poem is so gentle and peaceful. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry for your loss Joyce. I'm thankful you have her poetry and that you've shared this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your friend's poem. It is so lovely and peaceful. This spring we had a doe and two fawns visit our pond and yard frequently. This poem captures that so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce, I am simply touched by your friend's poem and the thought that her words are her legacy. May she be peaceful now. It is difficult to lose a friend so live in her beautiful memory and words. If you would like to share her poem and your photo at my Abundant Autumn Gallery, I would love to have it there for posterity. Let me know. (cvarsalona@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gift of goodbye in this poem...and so touching because you've had to part. I'm touched by the "little one." Each of us is a "little one," aren't we? I hope we can be this good to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry about your friend! Thanks for sharing her poem!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful gift your friend gave to you, to us, to the world. May we all live so generously.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to save this lovely poem. What a delicate rhythm, just like a walking deer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an amazing poem. So sorry for the world to have lost this gentle spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Many thanks for sharing your friend's lovely poem. I will think of it the next time I am wandering through the woods and meet up with a deer or two, which happens often. Favorite line: "Daintly on forest path known just by you." Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful and sensitive poem by your dear friend–and a gift in words that she left us, sorry she's not here among us. Thanks Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful poem! Thanks so much for sharing a little bit of your friend with us and sincere condolences to you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.