Friday, June 26, 2020

After Edna St. Vincent Millay





Karen Eastlund hosts this week's Roundup. Thank you, Karen. Find all the poetic offerings and end-of-June musings over at Karen's Got a Blog!

This week I'm writing from Maine, and it feels so good to be back in my home state. Almost as if to welcome me home, one of my poems aired on WERU Community Radio in Blue, Hill, Maine last week.

During an April online workshop, participants were asked to write a poem using the first line of another poem. I began with the delicious first line of an Edna St. Vincent Millay poem, "Elegy Before Death."



There will be rose and rhododendron
   (after Edna St. Vincent Millay, “Elegy Before Death”)

There will be rose and rhododendron
before you take your leave.
Apple blossoms’ heady scent
will welcome swarms of bees.

In the crotch of Cortland branches,
finches will nest and sing.
Eggs will hatch, young will fledge,
blind to your scourge’s sting.

There will be solitary picnics
beneath gnarled apple trees,
gratitude for setting fruit,
for cool shade of leaves.

Oh, would the plucked fruit of Eve,
her curious mind cursed,
yield knowledge of a longed-for cure
before orchard drops are pressed!

Your demise will leave us reeling.
Our wounds are grave and deep.
Not one of us will mourn your passing;
for you, we will not weep.

            ~Joyce Ray © 2020

You can hear the radio recording of the poem on a post on my website, along with a piece about my writing journey.  I'd love to have a visit from you!

6 comments:

  1. This is an interesting way to think about Covid's passing, Joyce. And I like beginning with another's first line... thanks so much for sharing this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true -- nature will not notice, and we will not weep (at least not for COVID...certainly for the losses of human lives and the humanity of hugs, kisses, and handshakes).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to think about it being over...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something about writing "There will be..." over and over is comforting to me as a reader, even though I know it means more time will pass before this ends. But it assures me nature will continue doing what nature does, and the WILL pass...someday.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.