Thursday, December 19, 2019

Winter Poem Swap



When Michelle Kogan's Winter Poem Swap package arrived, I immediately knew she had no qualms about sleuthing around my blog to discover my interests. I am grateful that she wove my love of history, Saint Hildegard's monastic ruins and my Greek ancestry all into a poem about the solace we all seek at this point in our history.

CLOISTER REMNANTS...
     For Joyce Ray

Time travel through sacred doorways
under ancient arched pathways, and
through cloister remnants of long ago...
Set aside your electronic contraptions,
your political mayhem, and
sit with history soaking in
moments of solace...

        © 2019 Michelle Kogan

 The poem unfolds in a beautiful accordion book illustrated with Michelle's art depicting scenes from her original painting of the Three Graces of Greek mythology in a cloister setting.  Michelle did visit the Cloisters museum in New York this past year!


I have to admit that I googled the Three Graces to learn what I didn't know. I discovered that I probably walked past Antonio Canova's stunning marble sculpture of the goddess sisters at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London last July. I was fresh off the plane and did not pay as much attention as I could have!


Included in my gift packet were samples of Michelle's fine art, all wrapped individually, so I could savor the discoveries. The poem appeared again, this time in a frameable print. I may decide to share the bounty by actually sending the art cards to friends, but I love the bookmark scene and accompanying poem so much that I plan to mount and frame it. How lucky I am to be able to enjoy Michelle's art as well as her poem!



Art and poetry have enriched this season, and with a grateful heart I share these holiday greetings from another century. My husband's mom saved everything!

A Glad Christmas

     This
greeting comes
with a spray
  of holly
To wish you a
  Christmas
glad and
  jolly!


Greetings. Greetings, and Oh say
  I called up Santa Claus today,
Told him to carry you his best
  And load you down like all
             possessed.


My Christmas Wish
          for You


May all the joy
   Of this glad day
Shine in your heart
   And on your way.




On this Winter Solstice, I wish you Love and Light on whatever path you walk. Buffy has the Roundup today. Head on over for Solstice celebrations and more! Thank you, Buffy.

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful keepsake. Michelle's art is a treasure. Have a very happy holiday season, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that Michelle featured your history interests in her beautiful art and poetry! And love the old Christmas cards--they are a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these beautiful cards and keepsakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce, Michelle is a gifted artist and poet who has presented you with a beautiful holiday gift. As I scrolled down your post I found beautiful turn of the 20th century cards that are so delightful. It reminds me to pull out my ephemera collection of holiday cards to post around the house like I usually do. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful gift in the mail... how lovely! Thank you for sharing it as well as your vintage cards. Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treat these cards are, thanks for sharing them. Thanks also for sharing my winter poem swap package, I think we were matched well both being history, art/museum buffs. The Cloisters are a special place, that I hope to revisit again. Wishing you much Cheer this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely treasures! Fun to see those vintage cards too. :) Have a beautiful holiday, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delightful collection of treasures Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are all so lucky to belong to this amazing community!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely collection of treasures from MIchelle. Thanks for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.